Williams High Performance Vehicles Division is centred on four key principles that underpin the products we produce.
High Performance Hybrid Powertrain
Energy Storage Systems
- Developed from Williams' advanced KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) experience, Williams High Performance Vehicles offer Engineering and Manufacturing solutions in high power and high energy density batteries and flywheel devices.
- Williams F1 Team commenced manufacture of its own transmissions in 2008, and Williams High Performance Vehicles has developed the capability to integrate engine and motor hybrid inputs to these transmissions.
- Williams High Performance Vehicles has developed a total vehicle control architecture for high performance hybrid products. This is capable of working with both Williams’ own hybrid systems and those from other suppliers.
- Williams has designed bespoke high power density motors for motorsport applications.
Lightweight Vehicle Mentality
- The ultimate lightweight solution requires the intelligent combination of functions into a single component, sophisticated load case analysis, and a comprehensive knowledge of material properties.
Composite Material Solutions
- Williams’ has industry experts in the use of carbon composites, with years of experience in materials, manufacturing techniques and weight optimisation.
Metallic Material Solutions
- Experience in Formula One has made Williams an expert in the use of titanium, magnesium and aluminium, both on their own and in combination with other metallic or composite materials.
Component Manufacturing Capability
- Williams has Autoclaves and Machining Centres that specialise in the low volume manufacture of components in carbon composites, magnesium, titanium and aluminium.
Formula One Bred Aerodynamics
Aerodynamics skills honed in Formula One
- Aerodynamic capability is a key differentiator in Formula One performance. Williams has built a core skill in this science over 35 years of competition.
Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Williams has state of the art tools for CFD and are continually driving to improve the capability and correlation of those tools.
- Williams has invested millions in two wind tunnels on site at Grove, designed to give the highest level of capability in moving ground test capability for both scale model and full size testing.
- Williams’ capabilities allow solutions to be identified to improve stability, target efficiency, deliver downforce, achieve cooling requirements and drive lower drag
High Performance Driving Dynamics
Suspension, Steering and Brake System Design
- Williams has a team of driving dynamics designers with a long history of designing sector leading passive and active systems for use in race and road cars.
Active System Controls
- Integrating aerodynamic and chassis systems to deliver the optimum performance for race or road.
Very High Performance Road Car Development
- Delivering comprehensively capable ultra high performance road car dynamics that are accessible, useable and refined.
Race Car Development
- Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing!