Principal Design Engineer (Mechanical)
Williams is one of the world’s leading Formula 1 teams. It exists purely to race in the top echelon of motor racing where it has been winning Grands Prix for more than three decades. The Williams name has been synonymous with top-level motorsport since the 1960s.
We are currently seeking an ambitious, experienced Principal Design Engineer to join our F1 Mechanical Design group. Collaborating with the Head of Mechanical Design, you will be responsible for managing a sub group within Mechanical Design, covering wide variety of assemblies throughout the F1 car.
The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent organisational skills working with relevant company departments to achieve successful designs, often working to tight deadlines.
Key operational Duties:
• Manage a sub group within Mechanical Design Department with an emphasis on assembly ownership and as far as possible, promoting autonomous, creative design to deliver maximum performance to the car.
• Work closely with Aerodynamics and Vehicle Dynamics groups to optimise car performance.
• Assign and manage work within the group.
• Conduct design reviews within the group and on a larger scale.
• Checking and approving design specifications and checking drawings for production.
• Management of related processes such as faults, track testing requests, accident damage assessment etc.
• Promoting best design practice and driving continuous improvement.
• Regular meeting attendance for planning, resourcing and fault liaison.
• Some international travel may be required.
The candidate will have an in depth understanding of fundamental engineering principles and have a relevant degree or equivalent qualification supported by design experience in a top-level motorsport field. Experience with simulation and stress calculations would also be advantageous. Strong CAD skills are necessary, ideally with experience of NX, however training will be provided for conversion from other CAD systems. Data analysis experience would also be beneficial for this role.
Effective and efficient people management skills are key to this role along with a strong knowledge of contemporary F1 technology and design. An innovative approach to design and strong knowledge of manufacturing techniques is also key to this role.
Applicants should bring a creative, proactive approach to problem-solving, along with good attention to detail.
What can Williams offer?
The Williams Group are based in Grove, Oxfordshire. We offer free onsite parking and large open green spaces to unwind during breaks. We are a short 5 minutes’ from Wantage, our closest town center. Please scroll down the page to view our full range of benefits.
The Williams Group is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion. If you have a disability, we are happy to discuss reasonable job adjustments.
Strictly no agencies.
Please Note: Due to the Volume of applications we receive on a daily basis we cannot guarantee your application will be acknowledged or considered unless you have applied directly via our website www.williamsf1.com/careers.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIESAPPLY NOW